Periphery
Sunday, April 24, 2005
  The things kids ask
My students range from 14-16, some are 17 I think. But, they're all at-risk readers and they're all in ninth grade. They're all smart, and they all hate school--this is without exception, even the ones who do the work out of deference to me and the two that are curious, and the three who care about their grades. I *love* their questions. Here are a few: 1. Could you take that off since no one will tell (i.e. my hijab, since I wear it for *them* supposedly) 2. Do you mind it when people think you're different? 3. Can you say my name in Urdu? 4. Can you have babies? 5. Did you take a vow of silence? What's funny is that my students are hardly literate, but they're all up to date on the latest lies about Muslims. Near the beginning, several would mention 'Osama' and look at each other with that mischievous, conspiratorial look to see how I would react. I'm great at pretending that I haven't noticed. And, I'm getting good at not taking offence, which is easy because I don't blame any of them. 
Comments:
"What's funny is that my students are hardly literate, but they're all up to date on the latest lies about Muslims."

That you're Jew-hating, head-chopping, backwards sacks of islamic crap? I believe they sound quite literate...
 
This is Haroon, of Avari 'fame'. (I'm too lazy to create a Blogger profile.)

Immediately after 9/11, I had several encounters, of sorts, actually no, people walking away from me calling me Osama, loudly, in public, which was so bold of them. When I turned to sasy hi, though, I noticed they became very unnerved and walked away.

Much fun.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home