Periphery
Friday, December 10, 2004
  Allah help this country
Having grown up with a lot of healthy and unhealthy skepticism of every governmental institution, both here and in Pakistan, I'm now shocked to realize that in fact, I had a latent trust that I'm only now beginning to understand as I'm loosing it. As a teen, I used to avidly follow all the unjust death penalty cases here in Illinois--all reeking of injustice and racism. But for some reason, I never quite fathomed that this too could happen. Maybe it's just a question of proximity? But, the Ford-Heights-Four shared my congressman and my area code. I've been there for the Busy Bee's Nursery. But of course it's these guys are Muslim. I'm not enraged necessarily because I believe in their innocence--which they are because it hasn't ever been proven otherwise--but because of the procedures. If the case was so solid against them, why not allow them to build a defense? Why proceed with it as criminal proceedings are underway (at least against one defendant)?