Periphery
Thursday, November 04, 2004
  :(
Tuesday was a beautiful day. It was warmer than it is normally this time of year, in the fifties I think. And after Fajr prayer, my family discussed why we were voting for Kerry. My sister was the only one who had any compunction (�he�s going to vote anyway, and I don�t want to be associated with his slime�). But we all pointed out that Illinois projections wouldn�t materialize unless people actually went to the polls and voted. We told her that she was voting for one alternative over another, not signing a loyalty oath. So we all went, four voters and a nine year old. It was six thirty, but the polling place was already busy. We voted. Kerry, Obama, and Jesse Jackson Jr. Wednesday afternoon looking out the window, I felt this visceral shock that our neighborhood hadn�t physically deteriorated over the course of the day. The leaves were still on the ground, the trees still shook against the winds, the houses stood still, and the sky was blue as ever. Today, I�m feeling more hopeful. Allah knows best, and we can only do the right thing. My duaas this Ramadan are with the Iraqis. Read Najma's latest diary, and HNK's, and River Bend's. My friend is anti-voting, and she's been disappointed because I supported Dean and voted for him in the primaries (even though he was out of the race at that point) because of the gay issue. She couldn't understand why I would support a party which encourages what's haram. My answer was that I would be condoning more haram if I didn't vote; and by voting, I was supporting the better of the two. In the end, America has to go through its struggle. Although I'm bitterly upset and apprehensive at the prospect of more Bush, I don't blame those voters. Looking around their world, they voted on what affected them most-- deterioration of family. If only their religiosity didn't have so much hate attached to it.